Thursday 28 February 2008

Plastic bags? They're rubbish.

So M&S is to start charging people for carrier bags. Good on'em, that's what I say. And charge double that. And good luck to Ken Livingstone, extending the congestion charge for high-polluting vehicles.

I resent the way supermarkets and shops automatically give me carrier bags that I don't need. I resent being made to feel like a Martian by shop assistants whenever I refuse one. That's why I have invested in three Co-Op cotton bags which are duly produced whenever I purchase more than I can carry.

You should see the looks on the faces of the assistants in Waitrose when I get out my off-white, Fairtrade, tree-hugging, wholemeal Co-Op bags. You would think that I'd just pulled a pair of soiled underpants out of my pocket. Actually, some retailers, such as my greengrocer, actually appreciate the gesture.

So stop this snobbery NOW, and let's get on with saving the Earth. Honestly, it wasn't that long ago people used to bring their own bags to the shops. Are we all that forgetful?

Tax 'em all, and then double it, that's what I say. Because if that's what it takes to get people thinking about the environment instead of sitting around stuffing pies into their corpulent cakeholes, then all the better.

No comments: