Thursday 28 February 2008

MP3 player buying tips

Well, that Samsung MP3 player didn't last long. What a piece of rubbish, honestly - I eventually got used to the fiddly controls, but they were so touch-sensitive that, exactly as I predicted, they eventually stopped working altogether.

Or rather, all the buttons started mimicking the behaviour of one another, probably because the contacts on the circuit board were too close together, because some dickwit decided to make the circuit board way smaller than common sense ought to dictate.

The final straw was last night on the train, when the "volume up" button got stuck, continually driving the sound up to maximum volume against my wishes and gradually driving me mad with rage.

So what, in my opinion, goes into making a decent MP3 player?
  • Well, most importantly, don't buy one with more than 2MB storage. Anything else, and you'll only ever listen to your favourite tracks, to the detriment of everything else you painstakingly ripped and downloaded. If you buy anything bigger, prepare to forget 70% of your music collection, because it will just get neglected. Sometimes less is more.
  • If you really must buy an iPod (and I'm still resisting the urge) then I advise you read up on other users' experiences. I wouldn't buy something where you had to send it away to get the battery replaced. A friend of mine tried to use a home iPod battery replacement, and it's messed up his hard drive.
  • Don't pay more than you think your MP3 player is worth. Okay, I'm annoyed that I just spent £35 on an MP3 player that lasted a few months, but if it had been a £200 iPod, I'd be absolutely hopping mad.
  • Style over content. Just because your player looks poncey, or is overpriced, doesn't mean it's any good! If you need a credit card to buy it, then it's probably not worth having. If you have more money than sense, don't come to me when your MP3 player breaks.
  • You need an inbuilt radio. Because if you're too busy to update your MP3 player, you will get bored with the songs on it very quickly.
  • Proper buttons. Never again will I use Samsung's silly little microswitches.
Take that, Mr. Samsung, and stick it in your USB hub.

No comments: